Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricane Delois

I just happened to be home today because TSTC is still closed due to Hurricane Ike. To my surprise, I had a surprise visit from my Aunt Delois Baker who lives down in Lumberton. She was forced to evacuate due to the hurricane and was up driving around the Baker Farm with her brother, Jim Ramsey. I'm so glad she stopped in. I hadn't seen her in years. Her son, Bubba, stayed behind because he raises German Shepherds and he reports that her trailer is still standing.

Aunt Delois has always been fiesty, and nothing has changed about that. Although she has had a stroke and admits that her brain and her tongue have trouble working together, she had no trouble fussing at her brother, fussing at Rodney when they first drove up ("No you can't help me. I own that land right there. Do you know who I am?"), insisting to go up and down my steps by herself, and fussing about all the Baker relatives who failed to send her a Christmas card last year (myself included!). She asked about everybody. I told her she needed to come stay with me for awhile and her brother said she won't even travel to visit him in Nacogdoches unless a hurricane forces her too. Yep, same 'ol Aunt Delois.


I told her to smile and say, "Hurricane". She said, "I'll make you think hurricane!" Somehow, I know she could!

No comments: